Tuesday, November 22, 2011

CAPTURED

WalterFedy, a local architect and engineering firm has started to host art exhibits in their main foyer area as a way to engage with the art community here in Kitchener & Waterloo. Their first show is called CAPTURED and is a curated collection of the work of 11 local photographers. The show opened in late October and continues through the end of December.


I was invited to show a couple of my photographs. And in particular I was asked if I could/would produce something especially striking for display on a large red wall. I had just the image that would do very nicely. It is a scene of a local railway station taken from a bridge. During this past year's Contact photo show in Toronto I saw a number of very cool images printed on aluminum. It struck me that a scene of the railway station would look fabulous printed on aluminum. So, I did a bit of research and sent off a number of sample images to a couple of printers to see that my idea would work. It has turned out even better than I could have imagined.

Transportation, printed on 4' x 6' sheet of aluminum
(ignore the watermark, this photo taken by Jared Davidson (using my camera))

The photographers were given a chance to hold a reception for friends and family to view the show (access is normally somewhat restricted because it is a regular working environment). We put together a very nice reception and invited about 80-100 people. It was wonderful to see people's reaction to our work.

More images from that evening can be found on my Flickr CAPTURED set.

No comments:

Post a Comment